Last night along with hundreds of others I said goodbye to a vibrant young lady who was taken from us far too soon at the age of 19. A woman with her bright red lips, cool vintage style and uncontrollable laughter that sucked you in, you couldn't help but call her one of a kind.
Abbey was the type of girl who had no fear. She loved life, her friends and family and all aspects of the arts. She was one of those people who was a force to be reckoned with when it came to the arts - she drew, wrote, sang and acted. And in a few short days she was supposed to be jetting off for Toronto to attend a performing arts school, which with no doubt in my mind she would have taken by storm.
I was lucky enough to have been Abbey's drama teacher for two years. Once as her student teacher when I was finishing up my degree, then again the following year when I covered for my friend and mentor Carrie while she was on maternity leave. In class Abbey was hard to miss. She was loud and out there and sometimes stubborn when she didn't quite buy what you were trying to teach her because she was so passionate about theater.
Hearing so many great stories, songs and videos from her friends and family last night was a true testament to who Abbey is and how she touched everyone she came into contact with. She is a presence that can never be replaced or forgotten and somebody that we should all try to be more like. As one of her friends said last night, "there is no way she is resting up there so I will say this, Party in Peace Abbey."
Before we left the celebration last night we were asked to write a "Dear Abbey" letter for the family to look back on our memories of their daughter/sister/niece/cousin and remember who Abbey was to everyone else, so that is how I am going to say my goodbye.
Dear Abbey,
You are crazy! No not kinda crazy, but CRAZY!!! But that is was I love about you. You are not afraid to be you with your own sense of style and your bright red lips. I will never forget teaching you in the MMC theater and watching you bounding in everyday with some story to tell. Hearing you laughing non stop from across the room and watching you light up the stage every time you stepped onto it. I remember you telling me after your Children's Theatre performance in grade 11, "Ms. Young I swear all I could hear was you laughing out in the audience! I always know you are out there when I hear your laugh and I love it." You are a shooting star Abbey but unfortunately you star will now be shining down on all of us from heaven. I love you and all your craziness. Be wild, be unique, be yourself. Party in peace Abbey.
Love Ms. Young



Couldn't have said it better myself! What a lovely tribute to a dynamic, vibrant spirit!
ReplyDelete