Monday, September 7, 2015

The Start of Something New

Ahhhh...Labour Day.  The unofficial end of summer, the time when most kids are excitedly anticipating seeing their friends again with the start of the new school year and the time when teachers are hopeful for a fresh start with their students yet again.


This Labour Day weekend I myself am anticipating a new adventure that Jace and I are about to embark on.  After almost 16 months on maternity leave, 15 of those I've spent with my little man, I get ready to head back to work and Jace off to daycare.  Two big changes coming our way as I start a new position in a new school division and Jace joins a group of little people he will learn and play commencing in a mere few hours.


I am prepared.  Or so, I say I'm prepared but how can one be totally prepared for something that is completely unknown.  As people have been asking me in the last few weeks "so, how do you feel about Jace going off to daycare?"  I have happily responded that I am ready and that I have no worries for him.  He is social and loves being around people his own size.  And has not yet gone into a new situation where he hasn't thrived.  But as I say this who knows how I will fair in the morning as I drive up to his daycare and prepare to drop him off for the day.


There may be tears.  Anxiety.  And the overall feeling that I am abandoning my baby but with the underlying feeling that this is normal.  I am a mother and am built to feel this way.  He will get so much out of daycare as will I from going back to work, which I really am looking forward to.


So as I spend the last few hours enjoying the final moments of my maternity leave, curled up in a chair with a glass of wine while watching So You Think You Can Dance, I toast all the parents out there who have been where I am or are currently having the same thoughts and emotions as they sit on the verge of heading back to work.  Here's to you!  Here's to us!  Nothing but adventure lay before us.  And we can do this!


No comments:

Post a Comment