Sunday, October 5, 2014

I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends

Over this past week I have been reminded of how important the role of friends are in life, especially mine.  Being a new mom I spend most of my time hanging out with my little man day in and day out. Don't get me wrong I am not complaining at all!  I love being a mom, more than I ever thought possible.  Not to mention taking care of Jace is not overly stressful.  He is probably one of the most laid-back, easy going babies EVER!  But he does have his moments!


On a regular basis my husband Jamie will say, " Call the wolf pack.  Go out and have some fun and I'll take care of the boy."  Which usually ends in me saying something along the lines of "yeah, yeah" but never actually doing it.


This week however I finally took his advice!  Although it was nothing fancy (a couple drinks at a lounge), it was exactly what was needed.  A few drinks, a lot of laughs and an overall good time.  It brought me back to me.  It was something I didn't realize I missed so much.  Sometimes the littlest things make the biggest impact.


Not only did I get to go out with my girls here and have a great time but I finally got to see some of the awesome pictures that were taken of my girls and me from when we were back in BC this summer.  The pictures and constant communication with wolf pack west makes me feel like I am never too far away from any of them and that I am still a part of everything going on back there.


Having the connection with my friends in person and electronically was exactly what the doctor ordered this week as I sadly had to say goodbye to a former student who unfortunately lost her battle to mental illness.  Mallory struggled for a number of years and sadly lost her battle just over a week ago.  Saying goodbye this week and seeing all of the people who cared for her, all of the people whose lives she touched in some way having to say goodbye was heartbreaking.  Mallory was always so lovely and had such a vibrant spirit (so vibrant that when she was in grade 12 she dressed up as Lady Gaga one day during spirit week).  


Like most of the people saying farewell to Mallory this week I don't think many of us knew of the battle she was fighting each and every day.  If only more of us knew maybe she could have stuck around a little longer.  I only hope she has finally found peace for herself.  I know she will be greatly missed by many!


Saying goodbye to this young girl and seeing all her friends and family doing the same reminded me that the important things in life aren't things but family and friends.  Not only that, but making sure that they realize how important they are to me and my life.

So to all my wonderful and amazing family and friends, I love you.  Although I don't always see you or get a chance to say it all the time, I do!  I love you!  And I wouldn't be me without any of you.

xo

1 comment: